Sunday, March 15, 2009

Restorative Yoga: Make Rest a Part of Daily Life


Restorative yoga. Doesn't that make you feel calmer already? I discovered this type of yoga during my yoga teacher training program. While it is certainly still yoga, it is a very different type and reaps some wonderful benefits!

What is Restorative Yoga?

The pioneer of restorative yoga is Judith Lasater, who wrote the bible of restorative yoga Relax & Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times. While all yoga offers relief from stress and exhaustion, restorative yoga takes it to the next level. Using props such as blankets, bolsters and blocks, yogis position themselves into restful positions which they stay in for up to 15 minutes. The wonderful thing is once you're in the position you are required to do absolutely nothing. No need to work stress about your down-dog form or build up your strength in Warrior III. It's just you and your body.

I've often felt like a kid taking a nap in restorative classes. There is something very comforting and peaceful about a room full of adults just resting. After my first restorative yoga class I immediately went out to find blankets to help me do the poses and started practicing in my bedroom. Now, several years down the road I've acquired some made-for-yoga props that make things even easier.

Want to give restorative yoga a shot? Try this pose out (as shown in photo above):
Find a bare wall in a quiet place in your house. If you'd like, place a blanket on the floor and remove your shoes. Lie down on your back and place your feet up on the wall, knees straight. If your hamstrings are loose scoot your seat close to the wall. If you're a little tighter back off a little. Rest your arms by your side palms face-up, close your eyes and relax. Stay here for 10-15 minutes. *(This is a favorite of my students and can be an incredible substitute for a nap when you just don't have the time.)

What are the benefits?
These are innumerable. Restorative yoga poses "help relieve the effects of chronic stress in several ways" (Lasater, p.7). According to Lasater positive effects include: relaxation, balanced energy, draining of blood and lymph fluid from lower extremities, reduction in brain arousal, blood pressure and fluid retention, and stimulation and soothing of organs.

In my restorative yoga practice I have found emotional releases and understanding (every once in a while a good pose will cause me to tear up over something I didn't realize was bothering me, I then leave the practice free of that particular stress). It is incredibly relaxing (even better than sleep) and I promise your stress levels will decrease. (David loves these poses!)

How can I try Restorative Yoga?
1. Find a class. Check out your local yoga studios, it is very likely they offer some type of restorative or "renewing" class.
2. Get the book. Judith Lasater does a wonderful job of explaining how to do restorative yoga at home.
3. Post a comment. I'd be happy to send you some basic instructions for poses and help you find more resources.


2 comments:

  1. Love it Jenna! Coming from a girl who gave herself stomach problems with stress...I think I'll try it (and make Mom do it with me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jenna! Not only does it help me get better sleep, but I can actually watch my cankles disappear! :)

    ReplyDelete