Thursday, February 19, 2009

Which Type of Yoga Mat Should I Use?




So what do you need to become a great (or even just average) yogi?

The short answer is nothing. Ancient yogis practiced in nature, using rocks, grass and trees as their props. Today, most people invest in a simple mat and a small space to practice in.

Once you start researching mats you'll find that there are as many types of mats as there are yoga poses, so where to begin?

I have used many different types of yoga mats. I think my first mat was a hot-pink Gaiam mat. Gaiam is extremely easy to find--check out Target, Barnes & Noble--anywhere! These are a good place to begin and come in a lot of fun colors. They are easy to wash and provide a good amount of cushioning (which you'll need when you're practicing on hardwood floors especially!). They are also inexpensive, running from about $20-$25.

When I graduated from my yoga teacher training program my mom sent me money to buy a new yoga mat. I chose the Rolls Royce of yoga mats--a Jade Harmony Natural Rubber Yoga Mat. I loved this mat. It was the least slippery, most cushiony and best colored (bright blue!) mat I'd ever had. And it was a good thing, because for $75 you want to know that you're getting your moneys worth. However, within 6 months (and this may be due to me leaving it in the car on occasion in Phoenix, AZ) the mat developed some "slidey" parts. Spots that I used the most (like the front end of the mat where my hands would go in Downward Facing Dog) lost its traction and I soon was unable to use the mat. Sad day!

So here is my best recommendation: go with Hugger Mugger.

Hugger Mugger is an international yoga supply company that just happens to be based in Salt Lake City. Started by a local yogi, this company has been quietly providing some of the best products out there. I am a HUGE fan of their Tapas mats. They come in wonderful colors, wash and store easily and last incredible amounts of time (I have yet to wear one out!), and are a great price of $26-$30. What's not to love?!

You can find Hugger Mugger mats online at: www.huggermugger.com
These mats can also be found in some SL yoga studios including Flow Yoga and Bikram Yoga in Sugarhouse.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about yoga mats--just drop me a line!

namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Gaiam offers best and perfect yoga mats... Their yoga DVDs and apparels are also useful...

    ReplyDelete